Saturday, June 25, 2011

Toki Quartet

I was thrilled when the Toki Quartet asked if I would do the photos for their publicity and website.  I'm good friends with the violinists Aki and Midori, and violist Joe, and was so happy to meet the 4th member of their group, their cellist, Amy.  They formed their quartet in February-ish 2011.  Aki and Midori are postgrad violinists, and are in the same year as me at RAM. Amy is also a postgrad student, and Joe recently graduated from his undergrad at RAM.

This is a pretty fun loving group.  They all get along so well. 

Joe is the jokester... we've been in orchestra projects together, he has come into my practice on multiple occasions to show me his "piano skills", and has also been the cause for many cramps in my side due to laughing so hard.  The other day, he stole my violin as I went for a bathroom break, and I came back to find him playing violin concertos on my violin, smiling and sticking his tongue out at me as I walked down the York Gate hallway. I've also seen him scare his best mate and his girlfriend outside of Wigmore Hall by jumping out in front of them from behind the entrance gate as a way to greet them and give them their tickets for the concert, haha.

Midori and I were desk partners for the Sir Colin Davis, Bruckner Symphony No. 6 orchestra project.  We were instantly friends as we mocked ourselves playing wrong notes, giggling from the second desk of the second violins.  There was not a dull or negative moment between us.  She was the best desk partner.  She is so sweet, and fun to be around.  She also lets me practice my Japanese with her.

I met Aki in the Fall 2010 when we were looking to form a chamber music group together for fun.  She is incredibly talented at playing the violin, and such a good hearted person.  She even bought me a gift from Japan. She is so thoughtful.

I don't know Amy as well but I do know that she is a very good cellist.  She recently received runner up for the cello competition at RAM.  It was nice to get to know her since I already knew the other members of Toki pretty well. 

We did the photo shoot in Regents Park.  Lucky for us, the weather was GORGEOUS... and very bright.  Thank goodness for the sunlight because I am best at shooting photos with natural light so score for me :)  At the end of the photo shoot, everyone had squinty eyes because of the sunlight. Apart from me almost falling off the edge into a fountain in order to get a great shot, it was a lot of fun!






                                                                 * Joe the Jokester *


 Aki, violin I


                                                                  Midori, violin II











 Joe, viola










                                                                            Amy, cello

No comments:

Post a Comment